Wednesday, October 14, 2009

LOVE

Love comes in many forms... and, it is out of pure love and admiration for my amazing friend, Stacey, that I am posting the speech she is giving tonight about her mom. Rhonda was involved in a massive motorcycle accident that shocked all of us into the realization that life is truly very short and unpredictable.

I have learned SO much in the vein of giving, compassion and love from Stacey through the years and was just moved while reading what she wrote about her. Mostly, because I realized she inherited every single quality she so admires about her mom. Most of us fear getting older and becoming our parents. After reading this... You might look at things a little differently.

Before you read her speech, I'd like to thank the Foundation for Community Betterment, of which I am PROUD to be a part of, for chosing to help Rhonda pay for her medical bills which, as you might imagine, are piling up!

Her speech follows...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Who is Rhonda Becker?

She is a super-mom, a devoted daughter and sister, and my best friend in the whole world. By day she was a diligent & ethical employee who helped raise the spirits of women battling breast cancer. By night she was a Harley riding free spirit who loved the invigorating rush of feeling her hair blow in the wind!
My mom is the type of woman who bends over backwards to make others happy…even if it’s at the expense her own well being. She always put her children first, her family second, her friends third, her employer fourth, everyone else next, and herself last. Even while lying in a hospital bed, she worries about doing what will make her family happy, rather than doing what makes her the most comfortable.
Over the last seven months I have had the opportunity to advocate for her and put her first. I have been on a mission to prove to her how important she is. Moreover, I appreciate your support in helping me show her that it is time to let others take care of her, and that there are people out there who are willing to help. With help from the community, we will be able continue paying her bills while she is recovering, and we will be able to access the home care that she will need to ensure a good quality of life.
3 months after participating in the toys for tots charity bike ride, my mom was in a motorcycle accident. This traumatic experience left her with several life threatening injuries, and a 10% chance to live. After practically living with her in the ICU for two months, the hospital for 3 months, and a skilled nursing facility for two months, she is currently staying at an acute rehab facility. She is learning to walk again and to independently conquer her activities of daily living. Tasks that we take for granted f every day, such as, brushing our hair, going to the bathroom, showering, and even sitting are painful and overwhelming for her. She recently learned to walk with a walker, and I am optimistic that she will be able to take a few steps on her own at the Paddle for Betterment event next month. Please bring extra tissues because I will probably be overcome with joy, which will result in a monsoon of tears!
Your time and assistance is greatly appreciated, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart on behalf of my super mom.

No comments: